Friday, April 18, 2008

Are you down with APO?

In the week I’ve participated in two Alpha Phi Omega events. That’s more than I usually commit to. This semester’s Pledge Educators contacted me a few weeks ago and asked if I would give a speech to the kids that are pledging (Mu Pledge Class). The topic I was given was Change.
Being busy with work and the new house, I didn’t have a whole lot of time to give to writing my speech, but I did my best. On Friday night, I went over to Leilani’s house in Signal Hill. We didn’t find out until we got there, but we were “surprise guests”.

I was the first to arrive and next was David Le. He had been the Membership Vice President while I was President. After a while, more people started showing up. It was really good to see everyone.

When we were “revealed” to the pledges, they were able to guess who David was right away, but I think the Dressler/Nguyen thing through them off with me. LOL

I ended up staying at Lani’s house until about 11:00pm and everyone still gave me crap for leaving early.

The very next day, the Long Beach (Rho Gamma) chapter was hosting Sectionals. This consists of inviting all of the schools in your Section to partake in a retreat type environment. There are seminars planned, lunch, activities, and finally a banquet dinner. This was the first time the chapter had hosted Sectionals. Members from UCI, UCR, UCLA, CSULA, USC, Cal Ply SLO, etc. made the trip to Long Beach. There were about 100 people who attended.


I was happy that I got to reunite with the people who are still active in the chapter, along with the large group of Alumni who attended. It was good to see my friend Michelle who I hadn't seen in a little while...she just got into the Doctorate program at USC!!


Next up with Alpha Phi Omega, they’re having me host their Graduation Ceremony. Phew!

No comments: